American Tankless Water Heaters Venting
The water heater must be vented in accordance with the section “Venting of Equipment" of the latest edition of the National Fuel Gas Code: ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 in the United States and/or Section 7 of the CAN/CSA B149.1 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code in Canada, as well as applicable local building codes.
General rules for venting water heaters are:
- • Place the water heater as close as possible to the vent terminator.
- • The vent collar of the heater must be fastened directly to an unobstructed vent pipe.
- • Do not weld the vent pipe to the water heater’s vent collar.
- • Do not cut the vent collar of the unit.
- • The vent must be easily removable from the top of the water heater for normal service and inspection of the unit.
- • The water heater vent must not be connected to any other gas appliance or vent stack.
- • Avoid using an oversized vent pipe or using extremely long runs of the pipe.
- • For rooftop venting, a rain cap or other form of termination that prevents rain water from entering into the water heater must be installed.
- • Do not common vent or connect any vent from other appliances to the water heater vent.
Venting Installation Diagrams & Examples for American Tankless Water Heaters